Thursday, October 2, 2008

Joining the Big Blue World

As most of you know, I'm a huge fan of Finding Nemo: The Musical at Disney's Animal Kingdom. So much so in fact, that I have been thinking about applying for a job at the parks, so I can later audition for a part in the show. I have no real acting experience, other than one year of drama class in middle school. Also, me working for Disney would require me to end the podcast. I've always wanted to work at the parks, in one position or another, yet I was never really sure of where or when I would want to work. The first position I really wanted to fill was that of a Bellhop at The Hollywood Tower Hotel (Tower of Terror) at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Then I really wanted to be Mugsy, the gangster hijacker, in The Great Movie Ride, also at The Studios.

So as you can see, I've always wanted to be more than a regular attractions host. I want to be a part of the attraction or show. Being a Jungle Cruise Skipper is another one that involves some sort of performance. It has always fascinated me. But Finding Nemo: The Musical is something else completely. That show is just so unbelievable, and a big part of that is most certainly the cast. They are all so amazingly talented. I know that some of them where just regular cast members who loved the show and wanted to be in it, but most of them are actors. Finding Nemo is just work, it's their career.

With Disney Park Entertainment, for actors and performers on the street, or in shows, the contracts are slightly different. I'm not entirely sure about all the details of it, but I do know that if I where to actually get cast a part in the show, I wouldn't be able to stay in the show for the whole time the show is there. I'd have to re-audition every so often, which is one of the things about the contracts for actors. But I think it would be worth it. I absolutely love that show, and it looks like a lot of fun to be a part of. A lot of work, but a lot of fun. So like I said, as of right now, this is just a blue sky thought for the future. Or should I say a blue world thought?

Well at least if I don't audition for the show, I'll be ready with bad puns for the Jungle Cruise!

4 comments:

DisHippy said...

I have long been told by many members of my family that I need to get a job at WDW as well. But I would have to move from St. Louis, MO down to Orlando to do it and there lies the problem. I would have save up some money before I could do anything but like you said, how cool would it be to work for the mouse? I have a degree as a graphic designer and would love to combine to great passions of mine, my career in graphic design with my love of disney. That would be the best job for me. So I definitely know where you are coming from.

Chris said...

Good luck in your quest to join the show. It will be a shame to lose your podcast but I think that the opportunity to pursue a dream is much more important.

Jennifer G. said...

Hey Jake!

i just listened to your Window to the Magic Farewell podcast. i am sorry to hear your not doing the podcast anymore. i am very happy to hear you are going to pursue your dream of working at WDW and the Finding Nemo show. sorry, this may sound dumb, but i am still not 100% sure why you are stopping the podcast. is it because you will become to busy to do it? is it because you are going to become a castmember? Trapped on Vacation is a Disney podcast and "Earl" is a WDW cast member. so i think even if you where a cast member, you could still do a podcast. anyway, i am still happy to hear you will hopefully become a castmember:) and i will try to keep up and post here on the blog. good luck with everything!! :D

Blixzit said...

Thanks for all the feedback you guys! And Jennifer, the reason I ended the show is both due to my limited time and the restrictions of being a cast member. I'm sure Disney really wouldn't mind me saying all the positive things I do about the parks. But I really would like to spend more of my time creating the magic than just talking about it.

The World for One