Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Forum Fading… is it an illness?

No, in fact I believe it’s rather healthy. To get away from the internet and computer for a while. To just get outside and enjoy nature’s bandwidth of sunshine and fresh air. However, that theory kind of goes out the window when you’re still attached to said internet and computer. I haven’t been posting in the forums I used to. Or this blog for that matter. I still spend way too much time on the internet however. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and just general web surfing mostly. Every once in a while I’ll go and read a bit on the forums I used to frequent. More of a lurker than a regular poster.

I still go to the Disney parks, although not nearly as frequently as I did when The World for One podcast was still going. I’ve sort of been just wasting my days by sleeping through them, then waking up at night not able to fall back asleep. Living in a motel room is a really easy way to get extremely bored. And with my nocturnal sleeping habits, there is even less to do at night while I’m wide awake. What I need is a job, a car, and some money for college. I still am not entirely sure as to what I want to be when I “grow up”. I don’t think I’ll ever really grow up, nor do I wish to.

However, I do need to have more responsibilities than I do for my age. I’m 19, and though I dropped out of school way too early, I have gone back and received my High School Diploma. That should make getting a job easier, right? Well apparently not. Not during this funk called the economy. I live on Highway 192 which is like International Drive 2.0, it connects to I-Drive in fact. I would have thought there would be plenty of job opportunities out here. In actuality, not really. I mean I might be able to get a job flipping burgers for minimum wage but I REALLY don’t want to do that and I don’t believe I need to.

Being as young as I am means that I have plenty of opportunities ahead of me. Opportunities for success. True, everyone has to start somewhere, but I don’t think it has to be with doing something you’d rather not be doing. Yes, plenty of extremely successful and happy folks did start by doing jobs they’ve hated. But the way I look at it is this: If you have a goal in mind and are working your way to that goal, if you enjoy the work you’re doing, the more likely you are to stick to chasing down that goal.

That’s not to say that I’m going to have to overcome obstacles and tough things on my journey, but again, it shouldn’t be something I hate, but rather something that motivates me to beat it and gain knowledge and experience in the process. Knowledge and experience which I can use to my advantage in my future endeavors. So anyway, this is a Disney blog. Not my personal journal to express my life’s frustrations. But I just feel like expressing why I haven’t been adding my input on Disney topics on this blog and Disney fan message boards and things.

So to turn this post around back in to Disney related material, check out this cool patch I found while going through some old boxes this morning. It’s Mickey Mouse in the Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corps outfit (from The American Adventure pavilion at Epcot).

ScannedImage-2

1 comment:

Heidi Faith said...

It sounds to me like you're in a hole that's hard to get out of, and until you get some kind of income, that hole is only going to become deeper.

Sure, you don't want to flip burgers, but it would provide a paycheck every week- and once you've worked there for awhile, you could find a job you actually like better and have a previous employer to say good things about you for a referal.

Also, have you looked into working at the parks? I think you'd be great for that. There's plenty of minimum-type wage jobs there.

In all honesty, when push comes to shove, sometimes you have to do things that you'd rather not. I think you're really smart, Jake, and I think you deserve wayyy better than living in a motel room with a financially irresponsible father.

God Bless and good luck.

The World for One